I've been tagged by the wonderful illustrator Erin Eitter Kono to participate in a blog tour! For the tour, I was asked to answer some questions about a recent or upcoming book and then pass it on to some author and illustrator friends. Here's my go….
1. What is the title of your most recent book? WOOBY AND PEEP. It was published in February, 2013
2. What genre does your book fall into? Picture Book (with extras).
3. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
A movie! Wouldn't that be wonderful? Well, Wooby is quiet and thoughtful so Winnie the Pooh would be a good choice (if he were taller). Peep is outgoing and prone to misunderstandings so Big Bird would be good (if she were shorter).
4. What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? Opposites attract and become fast friends in this quirky, funny picture book.
5. Who is publishing your book? Sterling. High five Cindy, Brett, Meredith and Jennifer!
6. How long to sketch and draw and paint the illustrations? About a year, give or take. The book was sketched and edited at the same time which is an unusual book making process but worked beautifully for this project.
7. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Although they aren't picture books, Mo Wilems' ELEPHANT AND PIGGIE series and Arnold Lobel's FROG AND TOAD series because of the odd couple friendships.
8. What else about the book might pique the reader's interest? The smallest children love WOOBY AND PEEP as a slapstick read-aloud. Older kids like the comments and puns made by the nosy neighbors. The comic book style panels are very funny and the end papers are a chock full of cute details about their neighborhood.
Thanks again to Erin for tagging me on this tour. Erin's new book, CATERINA AND THE PERFECT PARTY, will be available in July 2013 but you can get a sneak peek at www.caterinascorner.com (aka party central!)